My internship guide Maikel asked me to find out what you have to do to get Flash in Flex. I started to search for a nice tutorial about this but I have to say that there isn’t a step by step tutorial that is explaining this. Opportunity for me to help people.
If you already installed flexComponentKit and patched Flex builder 2.0.1 you can skip this installation guide and start building my WeatherComponent tutorial
Why use Flash in Flex?
- It is very easy to make animations in Flash
- Flash is easier to control movement from animations
to use Flash in Flex you need the next 3 programs:
- Flash CS3
- Flex Builder 2.0.1 (I used that one don’t know if my tutorial works for other versions)
- Adobe Extention Manager
first I guide you true the installation because this is pretty complex. I hope that they make it in Flex Builder 3 easier.
Note: I wrote this installation tutorial for Windows
- Download the FlexComponentKit. If you download it from the adobe site you get version 1.o.o and this is version 1.1.2 that I got from the Flex Builder 3 SDK
- Start Adobe Extention Manager (can be found in: START -> Programmes -> Adobe (of Adobe CS3) -> Adobe Extension Manager CS3)
- After started Adobe Extension Manager go to: File -> Install Extentionâ€¦
- Now browse to the “FlexComponentKit.mxp” file and click “install”.
- The Flash CS3 installation is ready. The Flex Builder installation is complexer
- First download the flex201patch.zip
- Make sure that Flex Builder 2.0.1 is closed
- Browse to the Flex Builder folder “lib” that can be found in:
- Windows Standalone: C:Program FilesAdobeFlex Builder 2Flex SDK 2lib
- Windows Plugin: C:Program FilesAdobeFlex Builder 2 Plug-inFlex SDK 2lib
- Make a backup from these files: swfkit.jar, mxmlc.jar & fdb.jar
- Now copy and past the files “swfkit.jar, mxmlc.jar & fdb.jar” from the downloaded en extracted folder “flex201patch” to the “lib” folder and overwrite the other files if you get that question
- Go to the “lib” folder in “com.adobe.flexbuilder.flex_2.0.155577 plugin”. Found in:
- Windows Standalone: C:Program FilesAdobeFlex Builder 2pluginscom.adobe.flexbuilder.flex_2.0.155577lib
- Windows Plugin: eclipsepluginscom.adobe.flexbuilder.flex_2.0.155577lib
- Make a backup from the files: swfkit.jar, mxmlc.jar & fdb.jar
- And again copy paste the “swfkit.jar, mxmlc.jar & fdb.jar” files from the downloaded “flex201patch” folder to “lib” folder and replace the old files
- The Flex Builder installation is ready now, congratulations